You have decided to go camping this year, but you want to avoid the restaurants. Here I am going to provide some tips and ideas what to eat in a camping.
- Two pots of different sizes
- A frying pan (avoid bringing your new nonstick skillet)
- Some kitchen utensils made of plastic or silicone
- Some skewers
- A supply of propane gas in small bottles
- A naphtha container or charcoal briquettes (depending on the chosen cooking equipment) will make your job easier.
- Also, stock up on aluminum foil.
For a complete list of what you may need while camping, check out our article “What to bring in camping“
Do not store too much food. The refrigerator in your tent trailer or trailer may fail you. You probably do not want to throw your steaks to graze for wild animals because your refrigeration equipment does not offer adequate yield.
Be doubly careful!
Camping equipment is normally safe, but it must be handled with care. And the risk of burns is higher than at home. Think about it before lighting your little stove!
The eternal question of the menu will come to haunt you, at one time or the other. We offer some suggestions, but first of all, to avoid breaking your head, make a menu before you leave. On the spot, during the races, your task will be much easier!
- Pancake preparation (in a grocery store)
- Eggs and bacon
- Sausages for lunch
- Fresh or dehydrated fruits and vegetables
- Roasted (golden on a wood fire)
- Croissants, brioche, and chocolate
- Pancakes (make the preparation before and add the milk on the spot)
- Dinner and/or dinner (depending on your appetite)
- Pasta salads (already prepared)
- Ham-cheese omelets or mushrooms onions
- Burgers and sausages
- Pasta (take out your jar of sauce)
- Rice with vegetables and chicken
- Grilled Steaks (with Club House seasoning or other)
- Grilled chicken breasts with BBQ sauce
- Skewers (beef, chicken, lamb, fish, vegetarian)
- Grilled fish
- Potatoes stuffed with cheese to grill on the campfire
- Sweet and/or strong mustard
- Coffee or tea or milk
- Water and juice
- Snacks such as dried walnuts, dry sausage, dried fruit
If you go on a hike, you may want to get some dehydrated food. There is, in commerce, packaging of this type of food. You will surely find, somewhere, a water point to draw the necessary liquid to prepare your meals. Do not forget to boil the water for a few minutes before putting your food to avoid digestive problems.
Good to know
Which camper are you?
The choice of your menus depends to a large extent on the chosen camping formula. If you opt for a motorized recreational vehicle (like Winnebago), Fifth Wheel or a travel trailer, you can cook almost anything. After all, you are at home, or almost.
To pack light
Is it necessary to take all the goods with you? You will probably find, once at destination, a supermarket or a grocery store where you will get the food you consume the same day or the next day. In addition, you will have a refrigerator, small for sure, but that will allow you to preserve food.
Use common sense
However, you will need to avoid some “strategic” mistakes: making a bouillabaisse while it is 30 degrees Celsius outside, or raining ropes is not really a good idea.
Under the tent
If you have a tent-caravan (tent-trailer for Quebecers) or a simple tent, the situation may be somewhat worse. You probably have a vehicle to get to your destination. However, the loading capacity is significantly lower than in the equipment mentioned above. You will have to make choices. Again, unless you have a huge cooler, you will need to get on the spot food to consume in the next 24 hours.
The caravan tents are equipped with a propane stove, often with one or two rounds, which are generally effective. Better to forget the dishes whose aromas are persistent. You certainly do not want the canvas, or the insulation for the three seasons equipment, soaking up a smell of fish that will persist for weeks.
For camping in the tent, think of simpler menus. You will need to cook outside using a propane stove, often too small, or the outdoor fireplaces that some campgrounds offer.